Monday, March 16, 2009

Aidan's entrance into the world!



Well since I have been meaning to start this blog for awhile I thought I might start with writing Aidan's birth story here. Partially so I don't forget it and also because I like reading other peoples birth stories.

Aidan's original due date was January 13, 2009. So I was a little surprised the day after Christmas when my water broke at 4:45pm. I was kind of in shock and did not want to believe I was going to have my baby since I was not ready! I was only 37 weeks and 2 days pregnant. Plus I was suppose to work that night. So I called work and told them that I would be coming in as a patient instead of working....lol.

I then decided to wait to tell Anthony when he got home from work in an hour since I was not contracting and I did not want to freak him out. So here I am trying to pack for the hospital while water is dripping everywhere!

Once Anthony got home I told him were going to be having the baby. He was so excited! Then we realized that we had not bought the video camera yet. So I sent him out to do that while I took a shower. About an hour later we were ready to go. We had to take the truck since it was at the end of the 2 week winter storm we had been having.

We got to the hospital around 8:00pm and my co worker Kerri was my nurse which I was excited for. Dr. Farley came in to check me and said I was 4cm even though I was not contracting. I tried everything to go into labor but to no avail.

So at 0045 I decided to start pitocin to kick me into labor. Oh did it work by 0130 I was feeling the contractions. But Anthony and my sister Jennifer were great throughout the entire labor. At 0300 I was 5cm which in my mind was not far enough lol. Because I had a goal of 0900 that morning since my doctor was leaving on vacation.

Well at 0600 it was getting really intense and I needed a little relief so I asked for so fentanyl in my IV. I was 7cm dilated. Oh what an amazing drug! I slept for a half an hour! Then at 0700 I asked for more fentanyl and I was 8cm dilated.

At 0745 I felt like I had to push, that is when Dr. Farley came in to check on me and I was 10cm.
I pushed for 45mins and had an episiotomy. Aidan David Hammerschmith was born on December 27, 2008 at 0831 in the morning.

He weighed 7lbs 9oz and was 18 inches long!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was one of the best nights of my life and I am so glad I was a part of this little miracle. Love you guys...

Kerri said...

Yeah, glad you are on here.
I was honored to be a small part of Aidan's journey into this world!